FACTS about PARTHENIUM
1. The weed can germinate, flower and set seeds within four weeks.
2. In India, Parthenium was first observed in Poona in 1954-1955.
3. Parthenium is insensitive to photoperiod as well as temperature variations.
4. Parthenium posses’ activity as a depressant to the CNS.
5. Parthenin an incomplete antigen hepatin, combines with albumin in the dermal part f the skin, becomes antigen and causes photosensitive reaction.
6. Parthenium produces 650 million pollens per plant.
7. Plants can produce more than 30,000 seeds.
8. In Australia, Parthenium is a problem in perennial grasslands in central Queensland. It can reduce beef production by as much as a $17M annually.